Wednesday 16 September 2015

The Prairie Paladin Medieval Market and Faire Spotlight: The Society for Creative Anachronism

Our third interview was done with Dezz Windecker-Klassen from the Society for Creative Anachronism Barony of Myrgan Wood. She is the current interm Seneschal (president) of the local SCA chapter and has been working with the Museum on the Prairie Paladin Medieval Market and Faire since the very beginning.

Q: Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions Dezz. The first thing I would like to know is what you do for your day time job, what your position within the SCA is and how long you have been involved?

A: During the day I am an office manager and family law paralegal for a law firm in Saskatoon. My current position within the SCA is interm Seneschal (president) and I have been playing for 18 years.

Q: That is fantastic to see the commitment you have to the SCA not only by being involved for so many years, but to also take on a larger leadership role within the group. What inspired you to join the SCA and what is your motivation to continue volunteering your time?

A: I wanted to meet new people and explore the medieval history surrounding my family’s origins. My motivation to volunteer in my group is the joy I see when people enjoy the benefits of that work. The best time to see the results of my efforts is when you take a moment in the middle of an event and just watch and everybody is enjoying themselves. When it comes to our demonstrations it is the smiles, laughter and general excitement of the crowd.

Q: I definitely relate to that type of motivation and how inspiring it can truly be. Do you find you gain more insight into the different groups of the time periods you reenact and study? Could you please describe for me an aspect of it?

A: This is dependent on how much research you determine to do as it relates to a time period you want to replicate. As well, it is truly hard to know the life as there are aspects that cannot be replicated.

Q: That is great that you allow members to do as much (or little) as they want to in respect of the research they want to do. What is your favorite part of being involved with the SCA and what do you see in its future?

A: I don’t have one favorite but multiple. I enjoy running/organizing events for our members to enjoy and my other favorite was when I was Baroness and the ability I had to present individuals with awards to show how much their skills and service are appreciated. I see growth in our group as it pertains to members and the growth of our youth armoured combatants.

Q: Wow that is really cool! I definitely see myself being a part of the SCA one day, which may not be in the near future, but definitely one day. Now for my final questions. What is your favorite part of being involved with the Museum’s medieval festival and what would you like to see in the festival’s future?

A: My favorite part of the festival is watching the children as they see our armoured members fight in combat. We would like to see other organizations become involved with the festival that assist with activities that visitors can be interactive in.

Q: That is great, we are definitely trying to accomplish having more groups become involved with the festival to make it bigger, better and have more things for the community to learn about and enjoy. Thank you Dezz for taking your time to answer these questions, I know there are lots of people who would be interested in what your group has to offer.

The Society for Creative Anachronism, Barony of Myrgan Wood will be at the festival all day, performing in the combat arena to show off their combat skills, as well as demonstrating other crafts that they recreated from medieval times. To celebrate their 36th anniversary the Myrgan Wood Branch of the Avacal Kingdom, they will be holding an event on October 3, 2015 in Dalmeny, SK. For more information, follow this link:

For more information about the SCA, the Barony of Myrgan Wood, and other SCA events check out these websites:




No comments:

Post a Comment